Friday, August 19, 2011

Shapin' Up

I've been on a fitness kick ever since my ten year high school reunion date was announced (its in September!) and also since I saw photos of myself at a friend's wedding a few months ago. I didn't realize I had gained as much weight as I had.

When I weighed myself in the beginning of June, I had gained 10 pounds in the 8 months since moving to New York. 10 freakin pounds!!!
I was so mad, ashamed, frustrated, etc...

Slowly I've been working myself into a workout routine that I actually enjoy and eating foods that are healthy and low calorie. I no longer allow myself to turn to chips, dips, cheese, ice cream, cookies, and other crutches whenever I'm frustrated or stressed. I am an emotional eater and I've come to realize that if I don't find other outlets for relief then I will simply eat myself fat.

Don't get me wrong...I adore all of the red-flag foods and definitely allow myself a nibble here and there. Let's be real- who could possibly live without a bit of cheese every now and then? I do keep a stock of low fat string cheese as a snack and crumbled Feta for salads. I just don't allow myself to sit and eat a pack of cheddar cheese cubes anymore.
Bless Kim Kardashian for the smartest thing she's ever said- "A minute on your lips, a lifetime on your hips." So so so true, my friends.

Since I started my fitness plan at the end of June, I've lost nearly 10 pounds! I'm glad to say that I can fit back into my clothes, and I'm actually relieved to see that my progress is showing up in photos when they're taken.

My struggle has been a life long one. I'm lucky to have never been terribly over weight or anything but I simply want to look and feel my best for ME. I want to feel fit and strong. I don't want to let my emotional-eating keep me down.

My iPhone has been an invaluable tool for holding me accountable. I use the LoseIt! app to track my daily calorie intake and I also log all my exercise with it. I've been using the 200 Sit-Ups app and am now proud to say that I can successfully do 255 crunches!! There are several other apps that I really enjoy including the Nike Training App and Workouts app. They both offer personal training for targeting specific body areas/concerns.

My good friend Anika is using her blog as an accountability tool and I want to follow her lead. I'll blog about my progress and hopefully inspire others to do the same.

As a way to track my progress I'm going to be updating my measurements. My ideal measurements are:

Bust- 36"
Waist- 28"
Hips- 39"

My measurements today:
Bust: 36"
Waist: 30"
Hips: 42"

Since I'm a pear-shaped gal, I know I'll never realistically be a 36-26-36 but I believe that my goals are achievable since I've hit those measurements before. I want to lose 2 inches in my waist and 3 off my hips.

My fitness plan is simple. 5 days a week- 30 mins of cardio and 30 mins of strength training. I also will incorporate my new Danskin Portable Pilates Studio into my training. It helps to strengthen your core and help achieve long and lean muscle mass.





2 comments:

  1. Ohh the constant battle! I'm glad I started posting about it though because it's always good to have a little motivation circle going. :)

    Congrats on already losing the 10 pounds - that's awesome! I really just started getting motivated again, but I already lost a pound this week, so I'm happy.

    haha my Nana has been saying "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" for years and I remember rolling my eyes at it so many times. Kim K. definitely did not come up with that one on her own!

    aaand to wrap up this long-winded comment, I totally feel you on not emotional eating, although I think my problem is more eating out of boredom. When I'm stressed, I'm much more likely to make a dirty martini, haha.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you will continue blogging. Expression is what keeps us connected to life. I wonder...did you ever write any songs when you were in a band so many years ago? Songwriting is the best form of expression even if it doesn't make any sense to anyone but you. However, you have a lot of experiences to draw from. You have been coast to coast and abroad. So, "let it rip" like my old man is so fond of saying. Blog it now, bestseller later.

    ReplyDelete